Underground Tour Of Saint Clement’s Basilica
Travel outside the box! Escape the heat of Roman Summer, and join us on this underground tour of Saint Clement’s Basilica. Your guide will take you deep underneath the streets of Rome to the most important underground site of Rome. This fascinating site consists of four levels: 12th century Basilica built on top of an older Basilica built on top of pagan temple built on top of an ancient apartment building. Discover this amazing site with a small group (10 people or less) and a professional, passionate guide.
What you can expect on Underground Tour Of Saint Clement’s Basilica
You will meet your guide at the front door of the Saint Clement’s Basilica. After a brief check-in, you will begin the tour. On this tour we cover layers of ancient Rome buried underneath the modern streets. You will explore 12th century Basilica built on top of a 4th century Basilica built on top of a pagan temple built on top of an apartment building.
On this tour you will:
- discover the true meaning of the phrase “Archaeological Lasagna”
- learn the facts and the legends of Saints and ancient Popes
- see the first and original crying room
- admire medieval frescoes
- stop at the tomb of Saint Cyril (creator of Cyrillic alphabet)
- explore pagan temple with the original sacrificial pit
- walk through an apartment building burnt down in the fire of Rome
- toss the coin in the water used to flood the arena of Colosseum.
No photography allowed inside the Basilica. Due to the size of the groups, places are limited.
- Expert, English speaking guide
- Guided 90-minute tour
- Small Group (10 people or less)